Monday, November 8, 2010

Relics of Hockey's Past

Few things remain from my childhood as a hockey fan. The sticks I used as a kid were flimsy Franklin wood with plastic blades. They barely lasted a few weeks of use. My inline skates weren't even for hockey, just recreational models my mother likely found at the local Toys 'R Us. I remember still having them in high school, but no longer fitting anyway.

I actually did have two hockey goals, presents for my 11th birthday, hanging up in my family's garage up until around 2006. That was just 2 years shy of rekindling my hockey fandom. I had barely paid any attention to hockey in years, so of course I figured they weren't worth keeping, and agreed to throw them out. They were made of PVC anyway though, perfect for kids playing ball hockey in the street, not so great for a grown man taking slapshots with pucks from 10 feet away.

Other than a Ranger sweater from 90's, and an XL Rangers '94 Champions shirt my dad still has, the only thing which remains is the beauty seen to the right. Yup, surviving many years in my room was a rod hockey set. And this is no ordinary rod hockey table, it's ROLLER ROD HOCKEY! You'll notice the clear marking of roller hockey: a black top surface, EXTREME neon jerseys, and the hard knocks chain fencing.

I believe this survived sheerly because it was under a pile of stuff in my room up until I cleaned it after college. Since then it has held a high place in my personal items, literally...I keep it all the way in the top of the closet. It's brought out fot the special occassions, such as drinking outside, and challenging others to competitions at family events. Although there are better rod hockey tables, like ones with wingers being able to wrap around the net, certainly nothing beats the uniqueness of rod roller hockey. I sense a family heirloom. I'll have to superglue some weak parts first though.

No comments:

Post a Comment