Tuesday, November 30, 2010

NHL Center Ice

Over the last few weekends I have come to really appreciate the Center Ice TV package. For those unaware it allows you to watch almost every single game of the NHL. I'm a fan of the Rangers of course, bit I also like to follow the league in general. That way I can see who's doing good and never miss any of the action. Also it almost always guarantees there's a game on to watch.

Now here in New York we're already pretty spoiled with hockey coverage. We have three local teams, and a great weekly analysis show done on the MSG channel for recaps. Add-on the games from Versus and we get even more. But if you're a maniac like me, then that's not enough.

I previously would catch some games through unofficial internet streams, but I found the coverage to be pretty lacking. You aren't guaranteed every game like Center Ice + local coverage does, nor is the video quality very good. Also if the game is very popular, then the stream might get bogged down and slow from all the traffic.

I was sold on Center Ice during October when they run the free 3 week preview. It was great to be able to follow the Calgary Flames and Iginla, or hear the voice of Bob Miller doing the LA Kings play-by-play (still waiting for a time where he can pull the line "and here comes the flying v!" from Mighty Ducks 2). And how can you go wrong with getting home late, but still being able to tune into a west coast game at 10:30pm for the drop of the puck?

I had been thinking about getting their internet package instead, but learned streaming for you phone was a separate deal from your computer. I already have a slingbox at home to allow me to stream TV to my phone, so getting the cable package was the best option for full access at home and remotely. Being able to catch games during a long commute on the train or drive home is clutch.

Which brings me to the best part I have really started to enjoy. There's nothing like a relaxing night at home watching the game in a big comfy chair. There is something better though, and that's being able to watch 3 games straight. Especially in this information age where you can follow all players and can root for them to play well. If you're a big fan of hockey, then I highly suggest signing up for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment