Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Beer League Goalie

So this year I decided to playing hockey again. At first I was playing defense our first two seasons in the roller league we play at. Our goalies were not bad but not spectacular either. During our second season our goalie could not make it to a game. No one really wanted to use the house pads as they are pretty gross. So I sucked it up and put on absolutely putrid equipment just so we can play a game. I absolutely loved playing goalie even though I had no idea what I was doing. We have just wrapped up our last roller season where we were eliminated in the semis. I had a 5.1 GAA in 11 games during this season, my first as a goalie. It isn't a great GAA but for a first timer I think it is pretty good considering. I also have to give credit to the team in front of me. They played very good defense and there was always someone there to clean up my rebounds. I have learned a great deal about the goalie position after my first full season. The mental and physical aspects of playing goal can take its toll on a person. I was definitely not fully prepared for a lot of it, especially the mental part. More on that type of stuff in my future posts!

1 comment:

  1. First thing, enter key anyone? ;-p

    Pretty amusing that you ended up playing goal from the random game where the goalie didn't show up. Makes you realize how bad our goalie was that season since that was your first time ever in goal, and probably our most competitive game.

    ReplyDelete