Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Bag Stench

Hockey players stink. Seriously, they do. Think about it, you're wearing all that padding every game and sweating profusely in it. The smell can sometimes be unbearable. The only way I can describe it is like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry's car smells like BO. Don't be surprised when you walk into a locker room or rink and get a whiff of that.

It's one thing to be that kids team who walks off the rink and smells awful. I mean, what can those kids do? They rely on their parents to know their equipment needs to be cleaned. Of course they're going to smell like a homeless person. The worst though has to be when you're on the rink, and as soon as you skate nearby a grown man, you can smell him coming. You definitely don't want to be that guy.

Now you're just in luck, as over the years I have found some easy to follow tips on keeping bag stink down.

First, after every game when I come home I throw things like my jersey, undershirt, jock, socks, roller pants and any other clothing piece into the hamper for a wash. Those are the things soaking up most of my sweat, and they're going to definitely need a full wash.


Second, I spray down all the equipment with a some anti-bacterial Febreeze. It's important that it's anti-bacterial, as bacteria is what actually causes the smell. That also means smelly equipment can even be dangerous since it's a sign it's full of bacteria, which can cause infection if rubbed against an open cut on your skin.

Third, I keep my bag open with the equipment facing up to air out. You need to let everything dry. Preferably do this in a breezy and dry place. Usually I just keep it on the floor in my room located underneath the ceiling fan. Good enough.

Fourth, do wash you pads occassionally. I try to wash all my pads at least once before each season. It's as simple as putting everything in your bathtub with some woolite overnight to soak, or what I do, throw them into the wash. If this equipment is tough enough to stand up against hitting boards, it probably can take the agitation of a normal wash cycle. One caveat to this though, I haven't washed my gloves since those actually are a bit vulnerable to wear.

And that's it. Four simple tips which should keep you from smelling. Finally you'll be able to invite people to your games, and not be embarrassed about how you smelled, and rather just on how terrible you played. Everyone at the rink will thank you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment