Thursday, November 11, 2010

Blocked Shot

BOOM! is what you hear when a shot comes in from the point. OUCH! is the thought you have if it's blocked. Notice the ouch part isn't an actual sound. That's because no self-respecting hockey player would fathom to even admit they're hurt. In fact, expect them to immediately look to gather the puck and skate it back out the zone immediately.

Such is the case with me tonight. I regularly look to block shots. Probably more so when on wing, and covering the point, rather than on defense protecting the crease. That's most likely because when shots come in from the point, they take time to setup and you know they're coming in early enough to block them.

Nonetheless, I ended up with a nice puck mark on my leg tonight. It's stings a bit, but certainly not the worst pain I've had. Althought it's a decent shiner for an indoor roller puck. Certainly nothing like Ray has been getting though.

The only awful part is the shot of course hit me in the one place my girdle doesn't cover. In fact, upon further inspection, why the hell doesn't my girdle cover that portion of my thigh? That's the prime location to get hit by a puck.

Blocked shots are a pretty big part of the game these days. Since hockey has become less clutch-and-grab, one of the few big things you can do on defense is give up your body for a block. Hell, guys even make their whole career off of it. Overall a lot of blocked shots by both teams from the game tonight. We came out with the W, and maybe I didn't score (par for the course), but I'm glad I did my part with at least a blocked shot. It's going to be hell fitting into tight pants though.

No comments:

Post a Comment