Monday, December 20, 2010

Proper Warm-up

There are a few specific things I always like to do during a warm-up in order to get ready for a game. Every player is a little different though. In men's leagues you don't have practices, so the warm-up is really your only time to get ready for the game. The time available is usually too short to attempt specific plays, so I prefer to just get myself ready.

First thing I do is jump out onto the rink to get myself pumped up. It's an easy way to get yourself psyched up for a game when you rush out onto the rink. Once I'm out there I look at whether or not anyone has setup the goals and it's pegs. The last thing you need is a goalie with all his pads on trying to fumble around digging spikes into the ice. If it's not setup, I'll skate over and do it first.

Once that's done I like to make a lap or two of my team's end of the rink. I then do some forward-to-backward transitions, and practice my backwards c-cuts and backwards cross-overs during additional laps around my zone. Finally I start practicing my stops, making sure I can get a good deep cut with my skates. I find it important to go through all the skating techniques I use during the game.

Once I'm done with my skating elements, I go over to the side and do some streches. The last thing you need is a cramp during a game. Just a few light streches like calfs bends, thigh extensions, and rotating your torso should be enough.

I then grab a puck and practice some shots into the boards. This includes wristers, backhands, and slapshots. But the most important part of a warm-up is getting shots on the goalie. Not for yourself, but to make sure the goalies is all set to go.

Many guys attempt "shootout" attempts on the goalie to warm him up. I suppose this is fine, but it really doesn't replicate what the goalie will face at all. The best things to do are slapshots or throwing wristers at him so can get some positional practice in. Attempting to guess at where or when you'll deke isn't exactly the average shot he'll face in-game.

Now you're all ready to go for the game. If you still have some extra time, pull another guy aside and practice passing. Besides skating this is the most frequent thing you'll actually do during the game. You can also practice setting up some one-timers to your teammates as well, as that is the regular shot you'll get on the powerplay. Some guys like to practice deflecting shots in front of the net too, but I prefer not taking a puck to the groin until at least the start of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment